[78-L] Pepsi--WAS: Alvino Rey and The Kings

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Apr 24 14:32:30 PDT 2010

Al Simmons says: “I agree. And as far as listening to infantile radio
stuff we listened only
to mature material such as:

*Uncle Don.......... "Hibbedygib hot shot ring Bo ree. sibonia hibbidi
hilodee" (another mejuggenah)
*Captain Midnight and The Secret Squadron ("Drink Ovaltine
kids")................  ( really lousy stuff,. and I can say that having
ingested some 100 gallons of the crap.
  * Jack Armstrong The All American Boy (Have you tried
Wheaties?)...............
*The Shadow "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"   "The
Shadow
do!"
*Red Ryder ("Send in for one of our 1,000 shot repeater rifles kids!" )
*Mr. Keene, Tracer of Lost Persons             (our version......  Mr.
Tracer..Keener than most persons?)
*The Breakfast Club" with Don McNeill  "Let's march around the breakfast
table gang"
*The Green Hornet and Kato  ("C'mon Kato")
*Mandrake The Magician and Lothar ("C'mon Lothar")
*The Lone Ranger and Tonto "Giddem up keemosabe" ("C'mon Tonto")

I can still listen to “The Shadow” (on tape). “Captain Midnight” had
great villains, all named after fish, and all before Prozac. “Mr.
Trace, Keener Than Most Persons” was a Bob and Ray favorite. I thought
the Lone Ranger was well-scripted and had good sound effects. Never
heard “Red Ryder” or “Mandrake.” They must not have aired in my
listening area. I don’t know about Uncle Don, but there was a
serial-type program that aired mornings before school and we were told
to dress in front of the radio. After awhile, I realized this could be
perverted and he could actually SEE me naked through the radio, so I
dressed upstairs in my bedroom. This same program may have had a
profound effect on one of my college dorm mates who would only dress in
the janitor’s closet. I learned this the first time I opened the door
to the closet and there he was. I asked for the mop and he handed it to
me.