[78-L] Alvino Rey and The Kings

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 22 20:51:48 PDT 2010

> From: stevenc at interlinks.net
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:32:20 -0400
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Alvino Rey and The Kings

> From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
> > I probably have all those boxed sets, including the complete Time-Life
> > collection. Some I purchased from private vendors at really low prices
> > for product in excellent condition, and some from thrift stores for
> > never more than a few dollars. They don’t seem to have much appeal
> > today or much resale value but they are certainly handy when it comes
> > to accessing certain recordings! The Time-Life sets are excellent, if
> > only for the well-illustrated hardcover books.
> >
> They are also easier to find...and probably a lot cheaper...than the 78's
> they would essentially replace...?! Besides which, most people (except
> those on this list...?!) have no way to play 78's!
>
> Steven C. Barr

They're also impossible to unload. I'm complete on the series and have taken duplicate boxes to second hand stores and auction tables and can't get five bucks for 'em. That's also the most I've ever had to pay for any volume in the series, confirming Geoffrey's experience. I think they're now out on CD.