[78-L] The TIME-LIFE sets (was) Alvino Rey and The Kings

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 18:33:37 PDT 2010

I've got a copy of that May-Lunceford album on Capitol.My late friend Al Hendrickson was on it.It was
another one of those that I got at some thrift store here in the Coos Bay-North Bend,Oregon area.It's not
in very good shape as it was stored out in a shed and the jacket got mildewed.I'd heard that story before
about the charts being in Thomas' garage.Al never told me about that session he did and I still keep comi-
ng up with albums he played on with just about everybody.I've got some stuff he did with Gordon Jenkins
on the TIME label of which I know little about other than Bob Shad is credited as being a producer.Of
Skeets Herfurt,I've got another one on TIME and Skeets,Al and trumpeter John Best were all on the same album.May did a few for that label as I recall.Lunceford died up here on the northern Oregon coast
in July of 1947 of an alleged heart attack.It was up in Seaside,Oregon.He was outside of some record
store signing autographs.I don't know who he was recording for at the time;it may have been Majestic.
The copy of "Cement Mixer" backed with "Just Once Too Often",an Eddie Wilcox tune,is in pretty bad
shape.It's a red label Majestic like the copy of "Margie" I had a number of years ago.