[78-L] Alvino Rey and The Kings

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Apr 22 07:35:14 PDT 2010

Lunceford recorded two of his Decca classics for Majestic: Margie/Four
of Five Times (Maj 1103). It’s been years since I listened to them, so
I can’t recall what they sound like or how they compare to the Decca
versions.

Regarding the “red”  vinyl Majestics, they really sound fine. For a
black-label Majestic, my copy of Cootie Williams’ recording of
“(Cherry) Red Blues” with vocal by Eddie “Clean Head” Vinson has great
sound! When I first played it, I was quite amazed.