[78-L] Alvino Rey and The Kings

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:52:35 PDT 2010

At the time (1946) Rey's band had 6 trumpets, 4 trombones, five saxes and
rhythm. This band seems to be forgotten except for an LP of transcriptions
on Hindsight with a fascinating piece by George Handy called Stocking Horse.
Arrangers were Frank Nelson and Billy May. I was surprised when I heard
these sides years ago; they ARE hot, 180 degrees away from the sides he made
for Bluebird. I don't think Capitol will ever do a decent reissue of this
band's output, but the way I understand it, its best music was never
recorded for the label. They signed a lot of big bands they didn't really
know what to do with: Bobby Sherwood, Ray McKinley, Rey, Sam Donahue....I'm
sure there are others.

The instrument Rey played was the pedal-steel guitar. Reportedly he disliked
country and hawaiian music.

Jeff Sultanof