[78-L] Andrews, et al

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Apr 20 16:43:51 PDT 2010

> Taylor, although I agree with your taste most of the time, I have to draw
> the line here.  To me, the Andrews are head and shoulders above the
> others.
> I rank the King Sisters below the Pointers, not even in my top ten.
> RayK

Hi,  Ray,

I think my main gripe with Patty,  Maxine and La Verne is their odd and
seemingly unrhythmic phrasing on rhythm numbers...to my ears they often
sound as if they are trying to sing against the accomp rather than swinging
along with it.

I'm very fond of their ballads,  but when they try to "get hot" I'm left
cold.  Apple Blossom Time,  Johnny Fedora,  etc.  are great!

Dorsey had two of the top vocal groups for me:  The Clark Sisters (aka The
Sentimentalists),  and the Pied Pipers with Jo Stafford...although the
Pipers got even better later on when they were on Capitol in the 40s.

I would not he surprised if I'd played the Dorsey record of On The Sunny
Side of the Street  500 or more times...and almost as many times for the
Johnny Mercer record with the PPs of "Personality."

Taylor