[78-L] Two omissions from my column in April issue of "In The Groove"

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 17 17:55:54 PDT 2010

Two of the items from my April column in In The Groove didn't make it. It was a pretty full issue. I didn't want them to get "lost" so I'm posting them here. One is a recommendation; the other more of a warning.

I hope you enjoy!

Steve Ramm

The Jazz Singer Redux –Warners – through its Warner Archives reissue program has just released The Jazz Singer. No, not the Al Jolson classic, or the Neil Diamond schmaltzfest, but – the Danny Thomas vehicle from 1952 co-starring Peggy Lee.  I remember seeing it in theaters as a child (I would have been eight) before I ever heard of the Jolson classic. It’s not been out on home video before (to my knowledge) or on TV, so I was curious.

The WA version is not “restored” but there are no visual defects or scratches in it. What surprised me is how this film drags. It’s 103 minutes long and the story keeps repeating itself. First Thomas is going to follow his father as a Cantor in the Philadelphia-based synagogue (obviously filmed in LA, not Philly) that seems to be attached, via a courtyard, with his father’s residence. Then he is going to be a Broadway musical star. Then he is going to be a Cantor again and then he plans to be a nightclub singer. Okay, the story is based on the same stage play as the Jolson one but – maybe because it’s an all “talkie” (and boy is there talking) – it seems slower. Lee actually wrote one of the songs – not a jazz song – and does get one full-length number 75 minutes into the film.  I guess you can’t expect a film you saw as a child to hold up almost 50 years later. This one didn’t – at least for me – though I had to see it to prove the point to myself. Stick with the Jolson version in the superb DVD box version from Warner’s consumer division, or the wonderful WA titles I’ve recommended from the 30s.

Disney pays tribute to New Orleans Jazz – Music has always been a part of Walt Disney cartoons, going way back to Steamboat Mickey in 1928! But Disney never seemed to acknowledge jazz until now. The studio’s newest feature film, The Princess and the Frog, has New Orleans jazz all over it! xFrom the jazz based score by Randy Newman, and a jazz-talking alligator named Louis (who has the unmistakable voice of that cat named Satchmo) who plays “Dippermouth Blues” and a tribute to Sidney Bechet, this is one truly delightful film. The story takes place in the 1920s French Quarter and features the high quality hand drawn animation Disney is famous for. It just came out on DVD (and there’s a companion soundtrack CD too!). Highly recommended for anyone from 8 to 80!