[78-L] Kathleen Lane

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Apr 17 08:57:01 PDT 2010

Referring to Kathleen Lane, Dan Van Landingham says: “My favourite
recording of hers was Berigan's "'Deed I Do" which I heard back in 1965
as a 14 year old via the album the "Bunny Berigan Memorial Album".

Other than the 12-inch Victor recording of “I Can’t Get Started,” my
first real exposure to Berigan recordings on Victor was the Memorial
Album. I, too, greatly enjoyed “Deed I Do.” I still occasionally see
the Memorial album, usually not in good shape. Quite a few must have
been released. It is much harder to find the original Berigan scroll
and round-gold Victors. It took me perhaps 6 or 7 years to acquire all
of them. Years ago, Frank Driggs told me that, on average, about 5000
Berigan Victors were pressed of any given issue. This suggests Berigan
was not a big seller but sold enough to justify recording him. RCA
Victor issued several Berigan 10-inch LPs in the early 1950s but took
forever to reissue all the recordings on 12-inch LP. Some albums have
unreadable liner notes because the type is reversed out against some
horrible color.