[78-L] Bob Chester and KathleenLane

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Apr 15 16:58:32 PDT 2010

Bob Chester made his first records for Bluebird July 31, 1939 with
“Just for the Thrill” (vocal Kathleen Lane)/Hoy! Hoy” (vocal Al
Stuart), issued on Bluebird 10375. Recorded  August 8, 1939, “Shoot the
Sherbet to Me Herbert,” with vocal by Kathleen Lane, was issued on
Bluebird 10396. Other Lane vocals with Chester include “Oo oo oo (I’m
Thrilled/Goody Good Bye,” issued on Bluebird 10414. The first vocals by
Dolores O’Neil start with Bluebird 10474 “My Silent Mood/Stars Over the
Campus” (recorded October 12, 1939). There may have been other Lane
vocals in between (I am referencing 78 Onliine...) and the LoC.
“Online” doesn’t always identify vocalists, and LoC is incomplete on
Chester Bluebirds. Rust lists relatively few Chester Bluebirds. I have
a number of Chester Bluebirds and Sonoras, but they are not readily
accessible. I, too, think highly of Miss O’Neil as a vocalist!