[78-L] Easter Parade and Smile and Show Your Dimple

RAY KILCOYNE kil at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 15 13:20:48 PDT 2010

From: "Eric Goldberg"
I was listening to a download of the song, so I didn't have the credits
available to me. Thank you for the info.....

David Ewen writes in his book "American Popular Songs"..........
The EASTER PARADE melody was used by Irving Berlin in 1917 for SMILE AND
SHOW YOUR DIMPLE.  That song had been a failure, and was soon forgotten.
Then in 1933, while working on the score for "As Thousands Cheer", Berlin
needed a tune for a Fifth Avenue parade scene.  Berlin recalled, "I dug back
into my own catalogue to 1917 and found that I had written SMILE AND SHOW
YOUR DIMPLE".  That became EASTER PARADE.  Introduced by Marilyn Miller and
Clifton Webb in the first act finale of "As Thousands Cheer".
RayK