[78-L] Jazz Film: “They Died Before They Were 40”

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 09:40:11 PDT 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> This morning, I received this e-mail from Howard E. Fischer, whom some
> of you may know, and decided to share it with 78-Listers.
>
> “They Died Before 40” - new jazz film, project by howard fischer
>
> More than two dozen gifted jazz artists died before reaching the age of
> 40. Most of them are relatively unknown, some even to jazz fans. Many
> of them made significant contributions to this art form. All of them
> had much more to give and, individually and collectively, would have
> made a greater impact on this music had they lived full lives. It is
> important that their contributions be made known, their music heard and
> that we show how and why they died.
>
> Many people may have heard of Charlie Parker, who died at 34. But
> others, such as Herschel Evans, who died before reaching 30, are very
> little known and their stories untold. For example, Jo Jones, drummer
> and an integral part of the Count Basie band for many years, has called
> Evans the greatest musician he ever played with. He said that Evans
> made everyone he played with better.
>
> Who was this giant, what made him an important creative artist and why
> did he die so young? These are questions that this film will answer
> concerning Evans and many more. Others to be featured will be Bunny
> Berigan, Chick Webb, Fats Waller, Charlie Christian, Jimmy Blanton,
> Clifford Brown and Chu Berry. Almost two dozen others will be
> mentioned. Through archival film footage, photographs, reminiscences
> and expert discourse we will learn more about these artists, develop an
> appreciation of their artistry and reveal how and why their careers
> were cut short. This film will expand our cultural heritage for this
> internationally renowned art form.
>
> We are seeking film footage and stills plus any documents, contacts for
> family members, musicians and others who knew them for the eight
> artists mentioned above.
>
> Who Are They (the first eight will be featured)
> Charlie Christian, guitar - died at 23 in 1942
> Chu Berry, tenor saxophone - died at 31 in 1941
> Jimmy Blanton, bass - died at 21 in 1942
> Bunny Berigan, trumpet - died at 33 in 1942
> Clifford Brown, trumpet - died at 25 in 1956
> Chick Webb, drums - died at 30 in 1939
> Herschel Evans, tenor saxophone - died at 30 in 1939
> Fats Waller, piano, vocals - died at 39 in 1943
>
> Charlie Parker, alto saxophone - died at 34 in 1955
> Bix Beiderbecke, cornet - died at 28 in 1931
> Fats Navarro, trumpet - died at 26 in 1950
> Sonny Berman, trumpet - died at 22 in 1947
> Lee Morgan, trumpet - died at 33 in 1972
> Clyde Hart, piano - died at 34 in 1945
> Lil Green, vocals - died at 35 in 1954
> Eddie Costa, piano, vibes - died at 32 in 1962
> Robert Johnson, singer, guitar - died at 27 in 1938
> Dick Wilson, tenor saxophone - died at 30 in 1941
> Wynton Kelly, piano - died at 39 in 1971
> Tommy Ladnier, trumpet - died at 39 in 1939
> James "Bubber" Miley, trumpet - died at 29 in 1932
> Nat Jaffe, piano - died at 27 in 1945
> [...]

Perhaps it would add more poignancy to the project to focus on those who
died through self-destruction and self-indulgence, rather than through
ill-health or accident.  Having said that, musicians have died in road
accidents that were often as the result of travelling to and from gigs.
Ayler and Morgan, it seems, died as a result of certain actions they, or
someone close to them, had taken in their lives.

     Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5029 (20100414) __________

http://www.eset.com