[78-L] Schubert prize

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Apr 13 09:38:06 PDT 2010

Grove's Biography of composer Hans Gal (1890-1987) reads:

> "After winning the Columbia Schubert centenary prize for his Sinfonietta in 1928..."

Certainly Kurt Atterberg, not Hans Gal, was awarded this prize, correct?

Uncle Dave Lewis

I think there were probably several Schubert prizes, perhaps in several different countries.  Charles Trowbridge Haubiel was also awarded first prize for his composition, "Karma", which was recorded in 1928 by Columbia.

Felix Weingartner may also have been a prize winner.  Interestingly, his 7th Symphony uses the fragment Schubert wrote for the third movement of the "Unfinished Symphony" as the basis for the second movement of his symphony.  This fragment has become fairly well known in later years but, as far as I know, it was never recorded or performed before the late 1960s when Denis Vaughan recorded in on Victor.  I had understood that this fragment was only discovered at that time so was surprised to see Weingartner using it, (maybe even passing it off as his own composition), in the early 30s.

I believe the contest started off with an invitation to composers to complete the "Unfinished Symphony", but then changed it to writing a composition in homage to Schubert.

db