[78-L] Hank Williams awarded Pulitzer

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Apr 12 22:39:24 PDT 2010

Although I believe both Guthrie and Williams are deserving in their own ways, I would vote for Williams being the more inventive composer. Remember that Guthrie "borrowed" nearly all of his melodies from Carter Family records and traditional sources while most of Williams' work (with Fred Rose's assistance) were his own. Williams wrote of his own inner pain while Guthrie wrote as a representative of the people. It was Williams who influenced an entire generation of country music songwriters and singers. Along with Jimmie Rodgers, he probably had a greater influence on country music than any other single artist.  Both were great, both are deserving, but you can't qualify one versus the other. That just ain't fair, and Woody'd probly agree with me.

Cary Ginell