[78-L] Harry RESER

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Apr 12 06:32:58 PDT 2010

Tenor saxophonist Jerry Jerome toured with Harry Reser in 1935 and
speaks briefly about his experience in one of the Ken Burns jazz
episodes. He may have said something about this, too, on his two CD set
“Something Old, Something New” recorded for Arbors. I haven’t listened
to it in awhile so I can’t say for certain. It includes vintage
recordings from other labels interspersed with comment to establish
historical contexts, plus tracks Jerome recorded for Arbors. I would
call it a “summing up” set. While Jerome was A&R man at Apollo Records
in the mid-1940s, he recorded four sides with Reser for the label in
1947. Apollo 1085 “Jazz Legato/Jazz Pizzicato“ and “Banjo Boogie,” and
Apollo 1113 “Down Home Rag/Banjo Polka” (issued again on Apollo 1199).