[78-L] Wood Filler In A Cracked 78?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Apr 10 20:55:19 PDT 2010

From: "Malcolm - Venerable Music" <malcolm at venerablemusic.com>
> Hey Everyone - Yesterday I was lucky enough to junk a copy of a rare
> hillbilly record, Winona Rag by the Ray Brothers on Bluebird-5789.
> Unfortunately there is a crack to the label which you can see light
> through! It was only $1 and a rare enough record that I'm highly unlikely
> to see another copy anytime soon so I bought it anyway.
> In the past, I have seen some records that were in similar condition
> repaired very well, namely by the late collector Robert Nobley. I never
> got the chance to talk to him about his method in person, but a friend
> explained his method to me as it was explained to him. Apparently he would
> some sort of wood filler to the crack that was soft when applied. He would
> then play the sides on a Victrola so the steel needle would remove the
> extra filler in the direction of the grooves. After this, he would let the
> filler harden and sand the remaining filler to be even with the grooves.
> The result on the records I've heard was great, turning a heavy thump to a
> light tick.
> Has anyone else ever used a similar method or can recommend the correct
> type of wood filler to use? I have a similarly cracked Jimmie Rodgers
> record that I've been holding on to just for practice. But now I have a
> record that I really don't want to make worse than it is!

I have also seen recommended (and have tried) the use of a large "heavy
duty"
wax crayon. Like smaller "Crayolas," the wax can be melted with minimal heat
and allowed to flow into the crack. Playing the repaired disc will allow the
playing needle to cut new grooving to fill the gap...!

Steven C. Barr