[78-L] Dept of meaningless lyrics?

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sat Apr 10 12:21:50 PDT 2010

Do we know that BB was Black?

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of Don Chichester
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:37 PM
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Subject: Re: [78-L] Dept of meaningless lyrics?

The term should be written 'fine-tooth comb', referring not to its quality
but to its close spacing between teeth.  Such a comb would be useless to a
black person with tough, kinky hair.  Have you ever seen the kind of combs
black folks use?  Very wide spacing.  Hence the meaning of the lyrics: the
girl was left with nothing but a good-for-nothing fine-tooth comb!

Don