[78-L] Dept of meaningless lyrics?

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Apr 10 09:41:27 PDT 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> "leave you with nothing but a fine tooth comb"?
> ("Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home?").
>
> Perhaps the tooth in the comb is just short of being mint and is thus
> “fine.” Must have been a large tooth, perhaps a T-Rex tooth. The song
> doesn’t say what the comb was made of, perhaps marzipan.

I think the lyric refers to the same thing that the tune "Pick Poor
Robin Clean" does, namely Phthirus Pubis, or as we call 'em in Hawaii,
ukus. If Bill got thrown out with nothing but a fine tooth comb it
implies that he's been unfaithful, so to speak. But the lyric further
suggests that she knows it wasn't him who was unfaithful, it was her,
and that he should come back, minus the aforementioned livestock. Thus
the use of the fine toothed comb.
Not meaningless a'tall.
Mal