[78-L] VJM article: British Jazz Albums of the 1930s and 1940s

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Apr 8 11:57:56 PDT 2010

Of some of these 10 HMVs I have no images at all, but of B-6289
Washbd Serenaders: Kazoo Moan / Wb Rhythm Boys: Tiger Rag (Nos. 7/8)
I have images of 6 copies, with 4 label types. This record was apparently kept
in cat., and the "series" and numbers are on all labels.
Two label types state "Made in England" at 3h (in italics and in UPPER CASE resp.),
and thus are post-war !
I would guess there was no special album for the set, so HMV could simply start
the production of the records.

Gramophone Feb 36:
British Arts Rhythm Style Series

The New Parlophone British Artists's "Rhythm-Style" Series
IN spite of the fact that the initial orders exceeded expectations and at the last moment an S.O.S. had to be sent out for more Albums, Parlophone managed to keep to schedule and January 15th duly saw the release of the first six discs in their new British Artists' " Rhythm-Style " Series, first intimation of which was given in these columns last month.
To say that the records have evoked considerable interest is almost to understate the case. Even the lay Press has had quite a lot to say about them.
Apart from certain critics, who apparently labour under the misapprehension that the only way to appear clever in the eyes of their readers is to pick holes in everything, the majority seem agreed that the British musicians have put up a fine show, and perhaps no greater compliment could have been paid to them (and Parlophone) than the many heated armaments which have taken place among the fans on whether our lads have, or have not, held their own against the Americans.
Refreshing Flavour
Personally I see little reason to attempt to answer the question, because, although some of our boys have obviously tried to emulate the American example, others have wisely endeavoured to branch out on lines of their own; and if in so doing they have occasionally failed to capture to the full the Americans' inherent sense of swing, they have certainly provided compensations.
One of these is the novel and very refreshing flavour that they have managed to give the music ; another is that particular kind of tunefulness that always appeals to British taste ; yet a third is the unusually high degree of honest-to-goodness musicianship ; and fourthly, whatever else one may find to say for or against the records, the fact still remains that there is not one which has not its interesting features or which would not be well worth getting for its entertainment value alone.
The records are obtainable separately at 2s. 6d. each, or the six complete in Album, with pamphlet dealing with the performances, for 158.
The order in which they are individually reviewed is in accordance with the catalogue numbers, and should not be taken as signifying any order of merit.

Jack Miranda and His Meanderers Bread and jam (Miranda)
Ida, weel as apple cider (Leonard) (Parlophone R2153--2s. 6d.).
Jack Miranda (clarinet), Norman Payne (trumpet), " Buddy " Featherstonhaugh (tenor sax.), Felix King(*), Pat Dodds(t) (piano), Eddie Freeman (guitar), Ronnie Gubbertini (drums), Al Burke (bass).
Jack Miranda is with Al Collins' orchestra at the Berkeley Hotel, Piccadilly. So, with the exception of Featherstonhaugh (with Eddie Carroll at the Empress Rooms, Kensington) and Felix King (with Jack Bucha.nan's new musical show "This'll Make You Whistle "), are all the others.
I tell you this first because it will enable you to join me in the chuckle I am having at the idea of what the august Berkeley patrons would think if they heard music like this.
But, of course, they don't.

<snip>

Hugo Rignold (Violin Solos)
Calling all keys (Rignold)
Poor Butte)fly (Golden and Hubbell) (Parlophone R2154-2s. 6d.)
with Arthur Young (piano), Albert Harris (guitar), Ronnie Gubbertini (drums), Don Stuteley (bass).
I am going to make a bold statement. You may disagree. If so, I bow ; but it is my considered opinion and I am prepared to stand by it.
With the possible exception of the Negro artist, Eddie South, and our own irk Siday, who is abroad, there have been only two violinists who have hitherto meant anything to jazz-Venuti, of course, and more recently the French musician Stephane Grappelly. To my mind Hugo Rignold is a greater artist than any of them.
-------
And in July 1936:

Gerry Moore (Piano Solos)
Gersy building (Moore)
May write Blues (Moore) (Parlophone R2223- as. 6d.).
Congratulations to Gerry Moore on his promotion to the British Artists " Rhythm Style " Series--which concerns you to the extent that you will have to pay 2s. 6d. for this record instead of is. Gd.
-------
There is something wrong with the issue nrs, poss. based on advance info.
Miranda's Bread & Jam is R-2149 (the blue & gold label), with the series shown on the label, No.1
Rignold is R-2150 (Nos. 3/4).
R-2154 (Black Hand Gang) is No.12, so R-2149-2154 were the first 6 releases.
I have no images of R-2223 and preceding nrs, and poss. that was the last group of
issues in this series. (Moore had been issued before in the cheaper Par F0 series).

Han Enderman
===
>>> OK, things are now falling into place.  Geoffrey's book "Jazz by mail"
had listed the three English Brunswick albums, Classic Swing I and II
and Fred Elizdale, and his other book "Collectors Guide to Jazz on
Bootleg & Reissue" also includes 21 Years of Swing Music" but not the 2
HMV albums, the only one I had known about being the Ellington.  Han's
d8scovery of the Gramophone articles about the  Connoisseurs album is
great.  Subscription albums were not unknown in the classical field but
this predates the American jazz club reissues starting in 1934.  I
assume the HMV Ellington was sold in stores, but did they ever relent
about the earlier one and sell it again?  What I am confused about the
two 21 Years of Swing Music albums is the mention of post-war labels.
These were still in print in the mid-40s??!!  . What about the 1936
albums?

The original posting about the VJM article goes on to list  "Bob Crosby
Showcase (Br. Decca)  3 volumes, no date given".  There is an American
Decca album also called Bob Crosby Showcase that was album # 32, six
discs.  Did the bRITISH ISSUE three bOB cROSBY ALBUMS??

Also need further info on the mention of Swing Music Conversations on
12-inch Eng Bruns, asto how many discs and was it an album.  Numbers?

Also the Parlophone British Arts Rhythm Style Series.  Was this another
Parlophone series of single discs or an album?

And as always, pictures of the albums needed.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
===

The correct title of this first HMV jazz  album is, as given on the labels:
Connoisseurs' Album of Hot Rhythm Music.
It contains 10 records, sides numbered 1-20.
HMV B-6286-91 = No.1-12; 93-94 = No.17-20 (based on label images).
and from Rust-6 and The Gramophone:
B-6292 Duke Steps Out / Cotton Club Stomp (= No.15/16).
B-4347 Waller: (No. 13) Handful of Keys (No. 14) Numb fumblin'.
<<<