[78-L] DVD question--was: Re: A word of warning concerning playback

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Thu Apr 8 05:28:17 PDT 2010

At 05:09 PM 4/7/2010, you wrote:
>Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> > May I ask what movie? I'm always intrigued when I hear about different
> > versions of films.
> >
> > Jeff Sultanof
> >

>"Pirate Radio" in the U.S., "The Boat That Rocked" in England, "Good
>Morning England"  in France and several other European countries.  The
>U.S. cut is over 20 minutes shorter and loses three nice sequences, but
>the opening and some other parts are much better in the U. S version.
>Although the movie lost money everywhere, Leah and I loved it.  She went
>to see it seven times.  I have both the British DVD and Blu-Ray and we
>bought the pirate DVD from her Brooklyn neighborhood Chinese Pirate, but
>it turned out to be a dub of the British DVD we already had.  We were
>really hoping it was a crummy theater shoot because we just wanted to
>note on some edit differences, but that will have to wait for next
>week's legit release.  As I mentioned, the British Blu-ray is
>region-free and plays fine on unhacked U.S. players.  Haven't checked
>the DVD, but I don't think I have an unhacked DVD player.
>
>Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Saw Pirate Radio in the theater & liked it fairly well. A few months
later I downloaded the longer UK version from a torrent file with
Utorrent & watched the whole thing on the computer. It was a rip from
DVD which was just fine. Never bought the US version DVD although I
still have the UK file I downloaded.....