[78-L] VJM article: British Jazz Albums of the 1930s and 1940s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 7 20:23:45 PDT 2010

Geoffrey Wheeler wrote:
> The Beiderbecke Memorial Album was released by Victor July 30, 1936, so
> it falls between the two Classic Swing albums (March and April 1936)
> and the Elizalde album released in December 1936.

I've asked Philip for a scan of the article.  I need numbers of the
British albums or at least the discs in them.  I have a great photo (via
Han) of the Ellington HMV (and do know these numbers, B 6351-56), and
can use photos of any of the other British albums if anybody has them.

>  Recordings for
> American Brunswick’s “Blackbirds of 1928” album were made between
> December 1932 and the end of January 1933, so the recordings could not
> have been issued in Britain in 1932. In 1968, Columbia released an LP
> album entitled “Blackbirds of 1928” (OL-6770) as a 40th anniversary
> homage to the original 1928 show. The packaging and notes are first
> class and the music enjoyable.
Just wait till you see the American and British Blackbirds albums at my
ARSC presentation!  They are really something!!!  I just laid in the
photo series this morning along with that of the LP.  Miles Kreuger
showed me his copy of the American version back in 1967 that he used to
base the LP cover on.  I don't have the 78 album, but the photos are
great!  I think it is the  most handsome album of the 78 era.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com