[78-L] Fwd: New Orleans 78s

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 7 19:49:16 PDT 2010

From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung78 at gmail.com>
> I'm lucky in that I get to travel to New Orleans on business every six
> months or so.  I do look for 78s there but haven't found much in a while.
> The one place I can recommend is the Louisiana Music Factory (
> www.Louisianamusicfactory.com <http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com/>.)
> They are located at 210 Decatur in the southwest part of the French
> Quarter.   On the first floor are cds, books, and videos.  On the second
> floor are used cds, LPs, some 45s, and some 78s.
>
> A lot of the 78s came from the collection of Joe Mares, who was a local
> muscian and proprietor of Southland Records.  He's got a profile in Wicked
> and also in www.allaboutjazz.com.   The 78s have been there for a while
> and
> have been picked fairly clean but there are still 300-400 there.  Most are
> in good shape and reasonably priced.

It's now over 20 years since I've visited N.O., but I recall one store that
had
a large number of 78's, albeit very few that interested me. When I visited
that place, the owner was still upset at "Tiny Tim" for having broken a lot
of 78's while looking through his stock!

No longer remember any information about the store, like name,
address, usw...?!

Steven C. Barr