[78-L] DVD question--was: Re: A word of warning concerning playback

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 7 15:09:36 PDT 2010

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> May I ask what movie? I'm always intrigued when I hear about different
> versions of films.
>
> Jeff Sultanof

"Pirate Radio" in the U.S., "The Boat That Rocked" in England, "Good
Morning England"  in France and several other European countries.  The
U.S. cut is over 20 minutes shorter and loses three nice sequences, but
the opening and some other parts are much better in the U. S version.
Although the movie lost money everywhere, Leah and I loved it.  She went
to see it seven times.  I have both the British DVD and Blu-Ray and we
bought the pirate DVD from her Brooklyn neighborhood Chinese Pirate, but
it turned out to be a dub of the British DVD we already had.  We were
really hoping it was a crummy theater shoot because we just wanted to
note on some edit differences, but that will have to wait for next
week's legit release.  As I mentioned, the British Blu-ray is
region-free and plays fine on unhacked U.S. players.  Haven't checked
the DVD, but I don't think I have an unhacked DVD player.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com