[78-L] DVD question--was: Re: A word of warning concerning playback

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Apr 6 23:23:08 PDT 2010

But as I predicted, Blu-Ray players are starting to become fairly
inexpensive at the low end, way under $100, and soon might be under
$50.  They will play regular DVDs and CD, but might not play VCDs and
other formats like that.  I lucked into an LG combo HD-DVD/Blu Ray
machine which turns out to be hackable for multi-region.  Again my
suggestion is to always try to ckeck on the web beforehand if the model
is region-code hackable.  But we are finding that a lot of European
Blu-Rays are region free, including one movie we got three months ago
which is not being released in the US till next week and is a completely
different edit from the British original.  The coding was designed for
exactly that reason!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com  .