[78-L] had a good 78 day

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Apr 6 20:04:02 PDT 2010

From: "Bill McClung" <bmcclung78 at gmail.com>
> I picked up about 400 78s Saturday from a fellow in Port Arthur, Texas.
> He
> had seen me on TV last summer and said I could have them if I would pick
> them up.  I finally got there and it was worth the trip.
> They were all post war.  About 150 of them were commons.  Rosemary and
> Perry
> and Frankie and Hank and Bing and the Andrews Sisters.  The other 250 were
> all blues and r&b and early rocknroll.   A dozen Jimmy Reeds and some
> Lightnin' Hopkins and some John Lee Hookers and some Ray Charleses and
> some
> Little Willie Johns and so on.

Not a bad find at all...ESPECIALLY at $0.00 per each! I used to buy blues
78's
from an auction list that was mainly c&w-oriented...bought several hundred
blues 78's for between $2 and $4 each. I have most of the Jimmy Reeds, and
likewise for B. B. King on RPM. Also, a lot of other artists whom I hadn't
heard
of then, but whose records I enjoyed after I heard them! All told, I own
around
500-600 blues 78's; admittedly, a lot of the material is available on LP
and/or
CD, but I enjoy owning it on original 78!

Steven C. Barr