[78-L] New Orleans 78s

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 16:34:20 PDT 2010

I'm lucky in that I get to travel to New Orleans on business every six
months or so.  I do look for 78s there but haven't found much in a while.
The one place I can recommend is the Louisiana Music Factory (
www.Louisianamusicfactory.com <http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com/>.)
They are located at 210 Decatur in the southwest part of the French
Quarter.   On the first floor are cds, books, and videos.  On the second
floor are used cds, LPs, some 45s, and some 78s.

A lot of the 78s came from the collection of Joe Mares, who was a local
muscian and proprietor of Southland Records.  He's got a profile in Wicked P
and also in www.allaboutjazz.com.   The 78s have been there for a while and
have been picked fairly clean but there are still 300-400 there.  Most are
in good shape and reasonably priced.

Hope the conference wasn't last weekend.