[78-L] Don't all rush..

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Apr 6 08:18:29 PDT 2010

From: "Bob Rice" <bobrice at snet.net>
>>  Like anybody would WANT hindi records?

The dealer specifically mentioned that these were Bollywood records --
songs from their wildly popular movies.  There is an incredible
international interest in these movies.  I've occasionally had free
trials of their movie channels on Dish Network and have recorded many of
the films.   In some of them there are scenes of incredible violence --
with hilarious sound effects -- followed immediately by elaborate
musical numbers which would have made Busby Berkely feel inadequate.  In
recent years, some of the costumes are very racy, and since they can't
actually mouth kiss, and no actual nudity is allowed, there is a great
sexual tension as to how far they actually will go without mouth
kissing, but they do seem to be allowed to kiss body parts other than
the mouth.  Of course the films of the 78 era were not as sexy, and the
high pitched voices are an acquired taste.

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> Meanwhile 78 collectors in India are probably wondering who could
> want records sung in English...?!  Steven C. Barr

Since India was a British colony until 1948 and both the U.S. and
England still have a major influence there, English is widely spoken.
In fact, there are many everyday phrases in English which are part of
the spoken languages there.  If you watch any Bollywood movie you will
hear many English phrases.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com