[78-L] Varsity and related, was RE: Identifying vocalists

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 5 20:55:07 PDT 2010

I've never seen a Varsity album either (or a straight banana). Lots of Philharmonics though. Trust Obie to find a niche..when rubber was rationed, he managed to get the Firestone stores to sell phonograph records! Reissues from Varsity and Royale, pirated classical stuff from Telefunken including some he'd previously put on Royale and licensed to Monkey Ward, some legit stuff from Victor and Columbia including a Frankie Carle album issued anonymously (!), and a better sounding pressing of Will Osborne's "Man Who Comes Around" than I'd ever heard on Varsity.

Davis put out a lot of Obie's material as well, like an album of Jan Peerce and one of Marian Anderson which actually contained master pressings of her early German recordings.

dl