[78-L] National Records

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 18:34:16 PDT 2010

The Alamac LP came from Jubilee programs. I had it, and as I remember, all
performances from two programs were included. These were later issued on CD
on the Drive Archive label. I have this floating around.

Eckstine recorded for two labels during that period - DeLuxe and National.
It is hard to know which label put out worse-sounding product, but it is
true that those last recordings of Eckstine with strings were beautifully
recorded. When I studied with Budd Johnson while at Queens College, I was
constantly asking him about the Eckstine band, and Eckstine in particular
(Budd wrote most of Billy's arrangements when they both were with Earl
Hines). The band was an exercise in futility; a great ensemble that just
couldn't get the right breaks. Eckstine would get very upset when
interviewers brought it up later and told him what an important band it was.
He lost a lot of money on it, and other modern bands had a much easier time
of it later on (Gerald Wilson and Gillespie off the top of my head).

Eckstine knew that he should have been as big as Sinatra; he had the looks
and the vocal equipment. He signed with MGM Records because they talked
about him being in movies. The racism involved on many levels destroyed
those dreams; the fact that he had a lot of female fans who were white
scared many people and organizations. Eckstine was not a particularly easy
person to deal with later in life, because he knew he'd been screwed, and by
then it was too late.

Jeff Sultanof