[78-L] National Records

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sun Apr 4 11:35:05 PDT 2010

Dan Van Landingham comments: “I was paraphrasing a writer named Charlie
Gillette who wrote a book on the history of Atlantic Records and he
alluded to National Records and its
founder Al Green.He described National's records as being a mixture of
manure and gravel.”

I was told years ago, that the owner of National Records had another
business that produced some kind of material  he decided to use for
pressing his records. I forget what the material was said to be but
everyone acknowledged it resulted in quite inferior playing surfaces. I
have quite a few Nationals; some play better than others.