[78-L] Lee Wiley jilts one guy to marry Jess Stacy

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Apr 3 16:56:45 PDT 2010

From: "Dan Van Landingham" <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com>
> I built many a Revel model car kit as a kid in the early to mid
> sixties.Would polysterene made a good sub-
> stitute for vinyl in the record business?I am trying to school my cousin
> Katy regarding the rather poor sound
> quality of the old blues records she just couldn't get in to because of
> the overall sound.I think I'll refer her to
> this site as you people have given me quite an education in terms of
> studio acoustics,master material as well
> as the use of the early carbon mikes,amplifiers and the like.

1) Yes, some companies pressed microgroove records on polystyrene...!

2) Folks who are used to the "NO background noise" of modern CD's
will find the inherent background noise of analog disc records...especially
shellac 78's...disconcerting at the very least! As well, electric 78's were
usually recorded with a single microphone, whose "bandwidth" was
rather less than the studio mikes currently in use...?! In my own case,
I have been collecting and playing 78's for over 35 years (in fact, I
first played my dad's 78's at the age of 3 or 4...!) and my mind edits
out the background noise thereon...!

Steven C. Barr