[78-L] Kookaburra lawsuit

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 1 15:28:17 PDT 2010

Don Chichester wrote:
 >> I once owned a copy of the ABC Kookaburra bird heard on the
broadcasts of Radio Australia.

> I have a copy of this that I got from Ross Laird.  I think it was on
> Columbia -- it would take me a while to find it.  To explain, we're not
> talking about the song but the sound of "Jacko"  the Kookaburra bird
> that Radio Australia used to open each broadcast with.  The nickname of
> the bird is "laughing jackass" hence the name "Jacko" to the particular
> bird they used.

Much to my complete and total amazement, while looking thru boxes for
sleeves for my presentation, I found my absolutely mint copy of Jacko!!
It has a beautiful green and red Regal Zonophone label, mfg by
Columbia.  (See, I do like the combo of green and red, just not the
particular green and red on the David Bowie Peter and the Wolf!)  Here
are the very interesting details on the labels.

(Aus) Regal Zonophone  G21805   (WT 1272) / (WT1273     MA6923)
An Authentic and Unique Record of
                     JACKO
The Broadcasting Kookaburra
Story by Dr. E. BROOKE NICHOLLS  (Part 1/2)
Recorded in Columbia Studios, Sydney
N.S.W., on August 29th, 1933

Side one opens with the EXACT recording I have heard hundreds and
hundreds of times on Radio Australia, and then during the narration
there are four distinctly different recordings of the same bird on side
one, and two on side two.  Jacko was ten years old at tht time and the
story tells of his protected home.  Side two discusses the recording
session at Columbia Studios including the bird's reaction at hearing a
playback.  What I don't know is if the date given is that of this
compilation of story and recorded excerpts or that of the original
recording with this compilation made later.  I guess I ought to ask Ian
Grieve.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com