[78-L] News story: New store -- 78s only!

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Apr 1 07:53:25 PDT 2010

Regarding sourcing jazz and hot-dance 78s from 1917 to 1942, I find
that about the only sources available to me are on e-bay, in silent
auctions (Waren Hicks, Alan Cooperman), at record meets where 78s are
emphasized, personal representatives for estates who are referred to
me, sometimes VJM magazine, and Tom Smith in Toledo who claims to have
more than 200,000 78s for sale at his multi-storied warehouse (I have
yet to visit). Tom, along with Jim Prohaska of Cleveland, are
consistent sources for records I buy at meets. Jacks Records in San
Francisco used to be a good source for me, but I only get there once in
a blue moon (shall I hum the tune?).