[78-L] New acquisitions to me

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Wed Mar 31 09:08:49 PDT 2010

I had a pretty exciting trip last night to an auction and  got  a pile of records, plus a stereo previously unknown to me.  Would appreciate any additional historical detail from this  learned group about  a few of my finds.  Was thrilled to have no body bid  beyond my $3.00 bid for a  box of loose old 78s,  all dirty, no sleeves,  about 50 of them,  two had small chips on the edge, but rest are  intact and  after cleaning and playing, I've found  records I was either unaware of or had not seen in many years.
First, there was a loose paper  Edison Record label, with no sign of the record.  It's Show Me the Way to Go Home 51660-R by Billy Jones and Ernest Hare #10705.

A Velvet Tone Recorded by Annette Hanshaw, Am I Blue and Daddy Won't you Please Come Home.

Two  Dot records  by Gale Storm. Is This  the My Little Margie Gale Storm? They're Never Leave Me and I Hear You Knocking and Why Do Fools Fall in Love and I Walk Alone

Also  have an old Victor record by Paul Whiteman and his Ambassador Orchestra,  Whispering and The Japanese Sandman.

These may or may not be unusual, however, they are "first" finds for me.  Most of the rest were old labels and artists whose names were known.

The stereo  is  confusing to me,  a pretty large table model made by KLH , Cambridge, MA. The two speakers are about 2 feet square, has  AM/FM radio, with separate tuners, turntable  works   okay, sort of.  I can play a record, but must do it manually. It has  4 speeds, but no size adjustment,  a plastic flap on top of the automatic changer which would seem to gauge and adjust  for record size, which I can't get to work.  Excellent sound quality with the two huge speakers.  There is only one  stylus,  not  separate ones for 33/45 and  one for 78s.

Some of the other labels  which are  pretty rare in my collection are Essex,Champion,  Regal and Essex.

Pretty eclectic bunch,  including some duplicates for me, I.e.  Doris Day with Secret Love,  Clooney with This old House and Teresa Brewer singing Grizzly Bear.

If anyone can fill in any blanks for me on the above, I'd appreciate it.
Jim Whipkey