[78-L] Early Record Sleeves

Patrick Feaster pfeaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 08:53:43 PDT 2010

Mike Biel poses an interesting question about how disc records
were typically packaged for sale before ca. 1906.  I wonder whether there
were any articles in the *Columbia Record *about this -- surely retailers
before 1906 would have valued and exchanged packaging tips if they were
being left to their own devices.  I do see the following in U. S. Patent
911,794, filed Feb. 4, 1908: "The consumer is accustomed to receiving the
record in a simple bag-like envelop [sic] without flaps, and it has been the
custom in the trade to deliver the record thus inclosed to the retailer."
Of course, the "custom" may have been relatively new at that time.

 - Patrick