[78-L] my first Monarch (Early Sleeves?)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Mar 30 19:37:59 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> So if I understand the bidness model, in those early days, would
> Columbia and Victor records be sold in the same store? Or only thru an
> authorized outlet, along with the machines to play them on, without the
> disadvantage of competition?
> joe salerno

Apparently not, from what I have seen in vintage record catalogs and
similar documents...?! A "Victor dealer" sold only Victor records and
machines, and the same was true for "Columbia dealers...?!" There
was a legally-important "test case," up here in Canada; it involved a
Victor dealer who somehow managed to obtain and sell copies of
the "Two Black Crows" hit Columbia. As a result, Victor tried to
terminate his franchise; they lost in court...!

I have c.1940 record store ads/listings which suggest they were selling
virtually all of the record labels...what I DON'T know is when this
approach became standard for "record stores"...?!

Steven C. Barr