[78-L] Grey Gull 4114 - 1920?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 29 23:14:49 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:

Well, I own a VERY rare (no one has ever heard of it...!) apparently-
promotional Radiex record...which announces that "Radiex records
are now electrically recorded!" The matrices aren't numbered in the
regular GG sequence, but the tunes suggest it was recorded right on
the "cusp" of1925-1926, I have quite a number of GG 4xxx discs on
which the earlier issues are acoustic, but there also exist presumably
later remakes with one or both sides electric! Sometimes the electric
versions have later matrix numbers...in other cases they simply have
higher take letters...!

My guess is that GG left these 4xxx "standard" records in their active
catalog as long as they sold consistently; remaking the sides as they
saw fit, either electrically or, sometimes, simply because the masters
"wore out"...?!

Steven C. Barr