[78-L] my first Monarch (Early Sleeves?)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 29 20:42:16 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <bruce78rpm at comcast.net>
> That is interesting, I can never recall seeing either Berliners or early
> Victors, Monarchs or Columbias in anyone's collection in an original
> sleeve of any kind. I wonder how these records were original sold. It is
> hard to believe that they just handed you the record without a protective
> sleeve . Does anyone have the answer?

Record stores also used special "bags" for records (which sometimes
advertised the products
oda specific label!). These bags were large enough to hold several 10" 78's,
and had discs
at their tops which allowed a string (mounted on the bag) to be wrapped
around them,
thus holding them shut!

Steven C. Barr