[78-L] Grey Gull 4114 - 1920?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Mar 28 15:24:54 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <78records at cdbpdx.com>
> Thanks! That is good information. The original Emerson record (10313) has
> the same 2 tunes as this record with matrix numbers matching this label.
> However, the matrix on the dead wax does not match the label on this side,
> it says 2469A. The flip side-Kohala March-matrix numbers all match, labels
> and on the dead wax. So, 1 side is a later electrical recording of the
> same song and the other side is the original acoustic recording.
>
> Now all I have to do is find the origin of the 2469A matrix to figure out
> when it was recorded.

The following is the "Abrams File" entry for GG 4114:
--------
HAWAIIAN PLAYERS              ISLE OF PARADISE
41512=A   GG4114*   -         -         -         -
FRANCHINI & DETTBORN          KOHALA MARCH
1990=A;B  GG4114+   -         -         11/01/20  --------
I have NO idea where the date came from; it doesn't fit ANY matrix series of
which I am aware...?!
Note that the GG 4xxx series, being a "standard" series, remained in their
catalog for several
years; most of them exist in several different versions, as older acoustic
sides were replaced by
newer electric versions (often from different sources...?!).

Steven C. Barr