[78-L] More from the Eb*y Stupid File....

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 28 11:55:51 PDT 2010

Dan Van Landingham wrote:
> Were some of the Beatles' recordings issued on Tollie and Swan worth anything?

They are going for some money now as second and third generation
collectors get interested.  Most of us who were around at the time have
them because nobody wanted them in the 60s and 70s and they were cheap
and plentiful.

> My brother has a black
> label Parlophone LP of the best of the Beatles.I haven't seen the album in years but  it was in nice shape.

Do you mean PETE Best of the Beatles?  There was an album he did "Best
of the Beatles" but it was on a cheapy label here in the U.S.  The
reason that Parlophone LP was so expensive is that it was on the Black
and GOLD label which was phased out soon after the album was released.

From: agp <agp2176 at verizon.net>

> So -- what makes the Messiah guy thing that his stuff is worth so
> much more than either of these.

Look, it's almost Passover.  When the Messiah comes maybe the records
will be worth that.  IF the Messiah autographs them!!!  Until then, lay
out a cup of booze for Elijah and have some matzah.

> Personally -- I find the Beatles items to be far interesting than the
> Thompkins/ Red disk, and infinitely more interesting than the Robert
> Johnson ARC disks referred to by Steven Barr (which I see as totally
> boring) -- but even then not worth near the value placed.  T

Both Steve and I agree and have often said that Johnson and his records
are way over-rated and over prices.  He was ignored when he lived and
when he died. Even the LPs were generally ignored when they were
released.  The reason the 78s are sought after is that the CD transfers
ARE AMONG THE WORST REISSUE TRANSFERS EVER MADE.   When a collector who
has one on 78 plays it for a blues freak they go all apes**t over it.
The ONLY reason the first Johnson CD box set was such a big seller was
that it was the first really cheap CD Box Set, and for the price of one
regular CD in the 80s you could have a 2-CD set!!!!!!!!!!!  Nobody ever
played it a second time.

Mike ( i still do not have any of the johnson cds, only my original
copies of the lps) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com