[78-L] Lucky Thompson

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 27 16:56:44 PDT 2010

Compiled by the highly respected discographer, Bob Weir, and published
by Names & Numbers in The Netherlands, the new Lucky Thompson
Discography has just been released. At 248 pages, it is packed with the
kind of detail discographically oriented record collectors and jazz
historians want and need. Bob Weir has already published other
discographies through Names & Numbers on Helen Merrill, Clifford Brown,
Teddy Edwards, Sammy Price, and Leo Wright. In addition to the
Discography, the book has a marvelous section “List of Records and
Videos” that is exhaustive in its coverage of labels, albums by title,
and countries. Of particular interest to me, was the coverage of 78
releases from 1944 to the early 1950s. Covered are a wide range of
small labels for which Thompson recorded under his own name and that of
other groups. I found this a great opportunity to learn more about such
groups and labels I may never have encountered before. If you want to
learn more about output on such labels as Excelsior, Exclusive, 4 Star,
Continental, Down Beat, Duke, Modern Music, Bel-Tone, Sunset, Black &
White, Jewell, and others, you’ll find details here. For contact
information, e-mail me privately. No, I have no connection with the
company but do support efforts that broaden our jazz horizons.