[78-L] EMI Masters

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Mar 25 12:17:34 PDT 2010

Thomas Stern wrote:

just received the following announcement:
EMI Masters is an exciting new series celebrating the greatest EMI recordings. Launching this month with 20 titles, the series
features legendary performances by Pablo Casals, Steven Kovacevich, Itzhak Perlman, Simon Rattle, Otto Klemperer, Yehudi Menuhin,
Dinu Lipatti, Walter Geiseking, Jacqueline du Pr?, Janet Baker, Andr? Cluytens, Thomas Beecham, Denis Brain, Herbert von Karajan,
Emmanuel Pahud, Angela Gheorghiu, Alban Berg Quartet, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Maurice Andr? - all
recorded, mastered or re-mastered at London's legendary Abbey Road Studios.

Sadly this looks like another re-hashing of the same titles EMI re-issues annually, it seems, with new cover art.  There never seems to be any improvement in mastering just the same recordings over and over again.  There is much stuff in EMI's archives which has never been re-issued; surely anyone who wants these titles has them.  Their "Great Recordings of the Century" series was generally a significant improvement over previous incarnations but most, if not all, of these recordings were issued in that series so why do them again?

db

P.S.  I seem not to be getting all of the digests so I just have to hope I'm not missing any gems.  If anything has been sent which I should have noticed and replied to, I'm sorry but I probably didn't see it.