[78-L] Somebody's color blind..

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 20 16:20:40 PDT 2010

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> At 04:07 PM 3/20/2010, you wrote:
>> What can anyone tell me about Columbia's pale green label
>> "International" series records that were pressed between circa 1915
>> and 1925?I had a Columbia 78 of  some waltz that was of Serbian or-
>> igin.It was a tough tune to learn in that it had several major key
>> themes with one minor theme towards
>> the end.Milan brought it to mind after he told me he was emailing me
>>from Serbia regarding Al Hend-
>> rickson.I broke the record in the early eighties.It was performed on
>> violin with what sounded like a g-
>> uitar.Didn't Columbia go back to laminating their pressings in the forties?
>>

> I though that US Columbia pressings were always laminated? I haven't
> seen one that wasn't. Overseas might be a different story though....

I've seen some acousticals that weren't laminated, but I don't know at what
points these may occur. And Columbias were definitely laminated (with odd
exceptions such as the one I'm vague about) till the red label was introduced
in 1939. I believe they went back to laminated pressings in '41. Mid 50s red
Columbias are shellac..again, I don't know if this applies across the board or
just at some plants.