[78-L] 78s spreadsheet Excel vs. Access-thoughts on these?

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 20 09:00:02 PDT 2010

I have been trying to enter my collection into Access for a while. I
do about 5 entries a day.

You can import data for Excel directly from .xls file or from a saved
.csv file. The benefit of the .csv file is that Access may try to
change things that look like number into numbers, but you may want to
treat as text -- like catalog numbers. When you do an import from a
.xls file you cannot change the data type as is it imported. Any
catalogue numbers like 05627 will drop the leading zero. You can do
this if you import from a .csv.

I do this sort of stuff in my work at my day job :-)

That said, while you can do lotsa cool things with Access, basically
because you write the stuff yourself, its a pain in its own way. I'd
like to find a good 'free' piece of software for record collectors