[78-L] 78s spreadsheet Excel vs. Access-thoughts on these?

David London jusmee123 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 03:48:47 PDT 2010

First criteria for ANY system you pick, is the ability to import/export
data.  You will spend a lot of hours putting data into the system, and you
don't want to lose the data in the future.  You may want to use the data
other ways, or from other systems.  Maybe the solution you choose will
become obsolete.  Therefore, always be able to move on to a new system.

I started years ago with my records cataloged in custom databases, dbase,
then access, and now in mySQL.  The most often used medium to transfer data
is via a SQL query, or at worst case, via a .csv file.

As you say, you can transfer data from Excel to Access, and from there, even
on to Microsoft's SQL server.