[78-L] Edits (was: Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was LeonardFeather's Inside Jazz]]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Mar 18 22:20:43 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
>> Back in those days, some FM stations specialized in playing "Full album
>> versions!" as opposed to the edited versions usually found on "promo
>> 45's"...!
>> Steven C. Barr
> Actually many of those promo 45s had both the long and single versions
> on flip sides.  Some also had mono/stereo version on the two sides.  It
> also served the purpose of not giving the station the option of playing
> the B side instead of the one they were promoting.  And as  been
> discussed here before, the long versions and records like Ruchard
> Harrus's MacArthur Park were used when the DJ needed time to go and take
> a crap.
> Remember when radio control rooms actually had turntables?!!

YES! To both! When I started in "college radio," back in the early
seventies, one
of the first things I had to learn was how to cue up a LP track. We had
PSA's and
suchlike on carts...but hadn't yet started dubbing LP tracks to cart at that
point.
And yes, I'd put on a nice long tune when I had to "skip to the loo" (down
two
flights of stairs from the studio!). Learned the hard way there was a flaw
in that
system, though...one evening I came back upstairs to hear a "sticking"
record...!

Steven C. Barr
(ex-WILN "Music Director"...ILN was a "carrier current" station which served
all the dorms at Illinois State!)