[78-L] Early multi mike recording

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 17 07:24:57 PDT 2010

The Khachaturian Concerto also says "by arrangement with Compass Records",
which previously had the rights to import Soviet pressings. Mitch Miller told
me that they dubbed it from metals..gold metals! The reverb was added by
Mercury. The original Soviet 78s have a very small sound. A note in WERM refers
to this recording as having originated on film, from which English Decca may
have issued it before the Soviets did (never been able to confirm this).

And Robert Fine's name definitely appears on several Mercury 78 album sets. I'm
looking at DM 13 (Shostakovich Quartet #3, Fine Arts Quartet) and it has the
microphone "30 feet from the orchestra" (right, what orchestra?).

dl