[78-L] Auction Sticker Shock

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Mar 16 13:12:43 PDT 2010

The obvious question here is....WHY??? There is an obsession with "1st pressings" on jazz labels like Blue Note and Prestige that defies comprehension. In many cases, the difference is a matter of a small hallmark on the run-off groove or a different address listed on the label. Is there a huge difference in the sound quality? Were there a significantly few first pressings made? How many? Or is this simply a supply-and-demand marketplace gone berserk? I can understand when there may be only a few copies of a Paramount or Gennett 78 in existence that drives a price into 4 or 5 figures, but for an LP that was originally pressed in thousands of units, how can you compare them?

Cary Ginell