[78-L] earliest use of multiple mic mixing

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 15 22:08:00 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Thatcher Graham wrote:
>> I can't name a recording but I know that in 1881 Clement Ader installed
>> pairs of carbon mics on a Paris opera stage for telephone subscribers to
>> listen in.
> Actually there was a row of telephone transmitters across the whole
> stage front, and each listener would have a pair of receivers connected
> to a pair of transmitters, one on the left side and one on the right
> side.  The thought was that if they only had one they would miss what
> was on the other side of the stage.

This brings to mind another interesting possibility...! In the early years
of
cylinder recording, a fair number of recorders were set up simultaneously
so that cylinders could be recorded in quantity. Now, IF one could find
a pair of cylinders recorded of one performance...but made using the
recorders at either end of the array...the result c/would be "accidental
stereo"...?!

Steven C. Barr