[78-L] Chet Baker Photo on E-Bay

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Mar 15 09:16:16 PDT 2010

My jaw dropped this morning when I checked the winning bid in a John
Tefteller auction for an autographed publicity photo of a young Chet
Baker: $1030! When last I looked, the high bid was $440. An E+ copy of
OKeh 8772 J. C. Higginbotham and His Six Hicks: Give Me Your Telephone
Number/Higginbotham Blues garnered 18 bids and sold for $532! These two
original masters were reissued on the HRS label in December 1938 (No.
14) and command the highest price of any HRS reissue! A laminated
pressing, it is like having the original. At a record meet last
January, a friend bought an E+ copy for $2.00. Without explaining why,
I told him he was a very lucky man! An E+ copy of Vocalion 2539 with
Joseph Robechaux and His New Orleans Rhythm Boys doing St. Louis
Blues/King Kong Stomp garnered 14 bids and went for $293.65. If both of
these records were rare 1950s R&B 45s, imagine what they might sell
for! An N copy of Aladdin 128 Lester Young: Lover Come Back to
Me/Jammin’ with Lester went for a surprising $46.50. I have a copy of
the Philo issue and this is the last catalog number issued under the
Philo imprint before the imprint became Aladdin. Interestingly, an E
copy of Decca 7235 The Original St. Louis Crackerjacks doing Good Old
Bosom Bread/Swing Jackson did not sell. I have a copy and these are
decent sides.