[78-L] earliest use of multiple mic mixing

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 14 23:54:28 PDT 2010

Thatcher Graham wrote:
> I can't name a recording but I know that in 1881 Clement Ader installed
> pairs of carbon mics on a Paris opera stage for telephone subscribers to
> listen in.

Actually there was a row of telephone transmitters across the whole
stage front, and each listener would have a pair of receivers connected
to a pair of transmitters, one on the left side and one on the right
side.  The thought was that if they only had one they would miss what
was on the other side of the stage.

 >  It was esperimental, btu I'd expect a 2-mic recording to either
immediately preceed ro follow that date.-Thatcher

Since electrical recording wasn't used until the 1920s it was a long
wait.  But there was no mixing involved in the Paris demo, there is no
connection to what the question was about.  Art was asking about
multiple mics being mixed into a mono recording, and the Paris demo was
essentially stereo with one transmitter per channel and no mixing.
Mixing two inputs together requires certain network circuitry to combine
the signals only in the forward direction.  Art also specified that it
be in a studio setting, so my earliest example won't count either
because it was a multiple mic set-up in Westminster Abbey by Guest &
Merriman to record the Unknown Soldier service on Armistace Day 1920
which was issued on a special charity record by Columbia.  Multiple mics
were used by radio stations even in the 20s, so I think there would be
examples in early electrical recording.  Since there are technical specs
in the Victor ledgers, they might yield examples, but I can't come up
with any specifics.

The question implies how solo vocals were handled with the backing of a
large orchestra.  How soon did they put the vocalist on a separate mic.
Or solo instruments.  I am thinking that a good example might be The
Peerless Reprodicers which has Graham McNamee announcing with an
orchestra that displays various selections with certain different
instruments close up and a special emphasis on low notes on some and
high notes on others.  There would be a lot of running in the studio if
there was only one mic.  It was a Victor demo recording around 1928 (my
VMBII is buried somewhere.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com